Governing Council - Members
CIHR is governed by a Governing Council of up to 18 members. Sixteen members, including the Chair, are voting members, and 2 are non-voting, ex officio members: the Deputy Minister and the President of CIHR.
Members of Governing Council:
- include up to 18 individuals who are able to contribute to the achievement of CIHR's objectives in the overall interests of Canadians;
- possess a unique background and an outstanding skill set;
- reflect a range of relevant backgrounds and disciplines;
- meet face-to-face at least 3 times a year and every 2 years in a retreat;
- are not remunerated, except for the two ex officio members.
Members of Governing Council are appointed by the Governor in Council – decided upon by the federal Cabinet – and may hold office for two consecutive 3-year terms with the exception of the President, and the Chair who may hold office for two consecutive 5-year terms.
The By-Law of CIHR (currently under review) reflects the language of the CIHR Act and enables it to operate, as a Departmental Corporation, within a legal corporate framework.
Donnelly Centre for Cellular and Biomolecular Research
Department of Molecular Genetics
University of Toronto
Senior Scientist, Neurosciences & Mental Health and Chief of Research Emeritus
The Hospital for Sick Children
Senior Associate Dean (Health Research), Cumming School of Medicine
Associate Vice President (Health Research), University of Calgary
- Date modified: