Governing Council - Role
President, Canadian Institutes of Health Research
Application review date: March 27, 2023
Member, Governing Council
Application review date: February 5, 2023
After the review date, your application will be retained and may be considered up until an appointment to the position is made.
- develops CIHR's strategic directions and goals;
- evaluates CIHR's overall performance, including with respect to achievement of its objectives;
- approves CIHR's budget;
- is responsible for establishing, maintaining and terminating the Institutes;
- determines the mandate of the Institutes;
- appoints Scientific Directors and Institute Advisory Board members;
- reviews the mandate and performance of CIHR institutes at least once every five years;
- provides advice to the Minister of Health.
The Governing Council has created eight committees, each with specific terms of reference. Committees meet on average three to four times per year.
With the exception of the Executive Committee, membership on these committees may include people who are not members of the Governing Council.
CIHR's President is an ex officio member of all Standing Committees.
- Ad hoc working group of Governing Council (GC) on CIHR’s Institutes
- Executive Committee
- Governance and Nominating Committee
- Standing Committee on Ethics
- Standing Committee on Finance
- CIHR Audit Committee
- Stem Cell Oversight Committee
- Standing Committee on Science
- Date modified: