IHDCYH is pleased to announce the winners of the 2022 IHDCYH Talks competition.
The 2023 IHDCYH Talks Video Competition is now open!
- Registration deadline: September 27, 2023 at 4 pm ET
- Submission deadline: October 16, 2023 at 4 pm ET
- Peer review and voting period: November 2023
- Notice of Decision: February 1, 2024
Table of Contents
- Funds Available
- Competition Eligibility Guidelines
- How to Apply
- Review Process
- Evaluation Criteria
- Past IHDCYH Talks Video Competition winners
- Contact Information
The IHDCYH Talks Video Competition is a unique opportunity to submit a short video (5 minutes or less) that presents a clear evidence-based message to a lay audience that is designed to have an impact on the health of children, youth and families.
This competition accepts video submissions from members of the research community, and also more widely, from non-governmental or not-for-profit organizations (including community or charitable organizations), as well as members of the general public who are able to demonstrate a clear, evidence-based message related to IHDCYH's mandate.
It is important that the content of the videos be engaging, easily understood and accessible to a lay audience. Successful videos will be posted on CIHR and IHDCYH social media channels and shared through other communications channels. It is important that the content of the videos be engaging, easily understood and accessible to a lay audience.
The total amount available for this funding opportunity is $7,000, enough to fund 5 prizes or as otherwise determined by IHDCYH.
|Special commendations||2 at $500 each|
CIHR’s financial contributions for this initiative are subject to availability of funds, and CIHR reserves the right to reduce, defer or suspend financial contributions to awards received as a result of this funding opportunity.
The objective of the competition is to profile research and ideas within IHDCYH’s mandate to improve knowledge translation and help demonstrate the impact that evidence can and does have on family, reproductive, child and youth health in Canada.
Competition Eligibility Requirements
Before submitting an application to this funding opportunity, applicants should review the relevant policies and guidelines on the CIHR Funding Policies page to ensure understanding of their responsibilities and expectations.
Who can apply?
- Independent researchers, trainees (all research pillars and career levels) and knowledge users.
- Representatives from Canadian non-governmental, and/or not-for-profit organizations (including community or charitable organizations).
- Members of the general public who are able to demonstrate a clear, evidence-based message related to IHDCYH’s mandate.
- The content of the video must be related to IHDCYH's mandate.
- The video must demonstrate the value and impact of research on children, youth and families.
- Content that does not originate from the applicant's team is acceptable for inclusion with appropriate consent, but should be clearly placed into context and should not be the main theme.
- The individuals appearing or heard in the video must sign and be identified in a consent form. A form [ PDF (82 KB) ] is provided for your convenience but other forms are accepted. If individuals cannot provide consent, e.g. passers-by on the street, then their appearance must be concealed so that they are unrecognizable.
- Applicants may submit a new or existing video.
- The video must be 5 minutes or less.
- Only one application may be submitted per Nominated Principal Applicant (primary applicant).
- Videos must be submitted electronically by following submission instructions that will be emailed to applicants after they register.
Note: Videos that have been awarded a prize in a previous IHDCYH Talks Video Competition will not be accepted.
How to Apply
The application process for this funding opportunity has two steps: 1. Registration form and 2. Video submission. You do not need to use ResearchNet to apply to this competition.
- Fill in the registration form [DOCX (28 KB)] (and consent form [PDF (82 KB)] if applicable, see Video Criteria above) and submit it via email to IHDCYH-IDSEA@cihr-irsc.gc.ca.
- Within five business days of receiving your completed registration form, the IHDCYH team will email you instructions for how to upload your video file via a secure large file transfer service. Please note:
- Your video file should be clearly named following this convention: LAST NAME_IHDCYHTALKS2023
- The video title on your registration form must match title of the actual video
- Submit one clear thumbnail image for use on YouTube
Relevance Review Process
The following criteria will be used in conducting the relevance review:
- Relevance to IHDCYH's mandate.
- Designed to have an impact on human development outcomes and the health of children, youth and families.
Applications that are not deemed to be relevant will be withdrawn from the competition.
Peer Review Process
For information on CIHR’s peer review principles, see the Peer Review: Overview section of CIHR’s website.
Criterion 1 – Strength of the video
A peer review committee will assess the strength of the video relative to the following weighted criteria:
- Relevance (35%): The extent to which the video successfully presents evidence-based research related to IHDCYH's mandate that incorporate a message designed to have a positive impact on the health of children, youth and families. A clear description of the evidence used in the video must either be part of the video or included in the Research Summary of the application.
- Accessibility (25%): The content is delivered in a language that can be understood by a lay audience. It is engaging and provided in a creative manner.
- Innovation & Creativity (25%): The overall originality of the video; use of original ideas, illustrations and style.
- Video Quality (15%): Appearance, sound, image quality and duration.
Criterion 2 – Reach of the video
The reach of the video will be established through a public online voting process. The number of likes a video receives will be directly tied to the rating attributed for this criterion. Public voting will open on October 1st, 2022 at 9 am EDT and close on October 31st, 2022 at 4 pm EDT.
In calculating the overall application score, the two criteria will be weighted as follows:
- Strength of the video – 90%
- Reach of the video – 10%
Past IHDCYH Talks Video Competition winners
For information about the CIHR Institute of Human Development, Child and Youth Health IHDCYH Talks Program, please contact:
- Date modified: