Pre-Announcement: CIHR-PHAC Applied Public Health Chairs Program
This funding opportunity is now available on ResearchNet.
The renewed Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) – Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) Applied Public Health Chair program is launching for the second time this winter. This opportunity represents a collaboration between PHAC and the CIHR Institutes of Population and Public Health, Aging, Musculoskeletal Health and Arthritis, Gender and Health, Health Services and Policy Research, as well as the CIHR Healthy Cities Research and HIV/AIDS & STTBI Initiatives, and the CIHR Centre for Research on Pandemic Preparedness and Health Emergencies.
The purpose of this funding opportunity is to fund diverse mid-career applied public health researchers in Canada who will undertake inclusive and equitable applied research programs that tackle pressing public health challenges and who will work with decision makers from various sectors and communities to help support evidence-informed decisions that improve health and health equity.
The CIHR-PHAC Applied Public Health Chair program is designed to include a number of knowledge mobilization components that seek to foster the development of connections and collaborations between researchers and policymakers, stakeholders, and other knowledge users to ensure the work of the Chairs and the program are responsive to and integrated within the policy ecosystem. Chairs will be required to identify at least one decision-maker who will be directly involved in the research program and support uptake and impact maximization of the Chair’s research in an applied public health setting, outside of the federal sector. PHAC will act as a broker to facilitate linkages between each Chair, public health decision-makers and/or other relevant users aligned with the Chair’s research area.
The CIHR-PHAC Applied Public Health Chair program is anticipated to launch Winter 2022/23. Applications for the Letter of Intent stage are anticipated to be due in Spring 2023, and full application packages September 2023.
The total amount available for this funding opportunity is $11,500,000, enough to fund approximately ten (10) awards. The maximum amount per Chair award is up to $1,150,000.
Each Chair award will include:
- Years 1-5: $200,000 per year including:
- Up to $100,000 per year for salary contribution, including teaching release and fringe benefits;
- $100,000 per year for research, mentorship/capacity-building and knowledge mobilization activities
- Year 6 (transitional year):
- $100,000 for research, mentorship/capacity-building and knowledge mobilization activities;
- A one-time contribution of $50,000 provided in Year 1 for the Chair to plan, deliver and host an APHC annual meeting at least once during their Chair term.
There are 10 Chair awards available, one for each Research Area and one in a general pool.
- Research Area 1 – Public Health System Transformation
- Research Area 2 – Environment, Climate Change, and One Health
- Research Area 3 – Urban Indigenous Health
- Research Area 4 – Oral Health
- Research Area 5 – 2SLGBTQI+ Older Adults
- Research Area 6 – Ageism and Older Adults
- Research Area 7 – Equity in Primary Health Care
- Research Area 8 – Behavioural science and community-based approaches to address mis-/dis-information and build trust in public health and the health system
- Research Area 9 – HIV/AIDS & STBBI Research
- General Pool - Applied Public Health Research
- Date modified: