Lead – Institute Operations
CIHR - Institute of Population and Public Health
The Institute of Population and Public Health (IPPH) is one of 13 institutes that make up the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), the Government of Canada’s health research funding agency. IPPH’s mission aims to improve the health of populations and promote health equity in Canada and globally through research and its application to policies, programs, and practice in public health and other sectors. IPPH is based at the Université de Montréal under the leadership of Dr. Katherine Frohlich, Scientific Director.
Your mandate in a few words
The IPPH Lead – Institute Operations is responsible for coordinating and controlling all operational and administrative processes and activities of the Institute. In this role, you will establish and monitor the Institute's operating budget, provide administrative support to the IPPH Scientific and Associate Directors and organize a variety of meetings and events.
- Oversee the IPPH operating budget including financial planning and reporting to CIHR.
- Develop guidance documents for staff and external stakeholders on administrative policies and procedures, such as travel arrangements and reimbursement, that align with UdeM and CIHR policy.
- Manage daily financial activities of the Institute in alignment with UdeM policies and processes, for example draft contracts, navigate procurement process and process invoices and payments in collaboration with partners and UdeM Finance.
- Lead the organization of Institute Advisory Board (IAB) meetings including correspondence with IAB members, venue and accommodation selection, travel arrangements and reimbursement for IAB members and preparation of meeting notes.
- Support event planning by playing a lead role for event logistics (i.e., venue, hospitality, travel, participant lists, etc.), budgeting and correspondence with participants.
- Provide administrative support to the Scientific and Associate Directors including calendar management, scheduling meetings and supporting follow-up, as required.
- Manage office operations including scheduling of team meetings, electronic records management, ordering and maintaining communication/IT equipment and office supplies.
- Act as a resource for Institute staff with respect to financial and administrative processes of the Institute, CIHR and UdeM.
- Act as a liaison with UdeM and CIHR on issues related to space, IT, HR and financial processes to ensure smooth and efficient Institute operations.
- At the request of the Scientific, Associate Director or Assistant, develop, implement and coordinate other short-term projects and activities to advance the Institute's agenda.
- Other duties may be assigned within the scope of this position.
What you need to succeed in this role
- Post-secondary degree/diploma in accounting, administration, finance or related field preferred. Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- 2 years of progressive responsibilities related to administration, finance and event planning, preferably in a post-secondary or government institution.
- Knowledge of public and population health research issues and context, and experience working with relevant stakeholders in Canada and internationally, is considered an asset.
- Excellent communication skills in English and French (written and oral), including ability to communicate effectively with different stakeholders including senior officials and researchers.
- Ability to forecast, plan and monitor budgets.
- Ability to manage multiple files, coordinate workflow and establish priorities.
- Ability to exercise a high-degree of initiative, work under pressure in a fast-paced environment, act decisively and meet deadlines.
- Ability to take minutes and prepare documents and presentations with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Advanced computer skills and experience using Microsoft 365 applications and other virtual communication platforms, web-based applications and relevant software.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, relationship-building and networking skills.
Our employer promise
- An annual salary rate between $58 017 and $85 199 depending on your experience;
- Diversified and interesting career prospects as well as a continuing education offering;
- Organization of work in hybrid mode;
- Easy access by public transportation;
- Access to clinics and the host of services offered to the UdeM community;
- Reduced working hours during the summer period and a host of other benefits to facilitate work/life balance;
- An exceptional retirement plan.
More information about this position
- Union of research employees of the University of Montreal - SERUM-pro.
- Regular full-time position, for 35 hours per week.
- Category: R2
- Immediate superior or head of research: Katherine Frohlich
- Deadline to submit your application: October 30, 2023
- Applications welcome in English or French
- Submit your application to l'Université de Montréal(position: 525041)
- Date modified: