Notice of Upcoming Funding Opportunity: Health Impacts of Gambling and Gaming
This funding opportunity is now available on ResearchNet.
Application deadline: October 10, 2023
The Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) is pleased to announce the upcoming launch of the Health Impacts of Gambling and Gaming Funding Opportunity. This funding opportunity is a collaboration between the CIHR Institute of Neurosciences, Mental Health and Addiction and the CIHR Institute of Population and Public Health.
Many Canadians partake in some form of gambling, and for some, this can lead to the development of problematic gambling behaviours and even gambling disorder. There is also a need for more evidence on problematic gaming, including the risk and protective factors for gaming disorder and whether gaming might serve as a risk factor for the initiation of gambling.
This funding opportunity will support projects investigating gambling and/or gaming in the following research areas:
- risk and/or protective factors and the development of problematic gambling or gaming, including co-morbidity with substance use and/or mental health disorders;
- evaluation of interventions to prevent, reduce the harms of or treat the full spectrum of problematic gambling or gaming, including interventions that consider the prevention or treatment of comorbid substance use or mental health disorders. This can include the development and evaluation of novel interventions or the evaluation of existing interventions;
- evaluation of policies and regulations relating to gambling or gaming that have the potential to impact health.
Research on the intersection of gambling and gaming for any of the above research areas will be eligible.
Projects that include consideration of gambling and gaming implications/interventions across different populations, particularly those from marginalized populations and/or consideration of the implications of the social determinants of health are encouraged.
For the purposes of this funding opportunity "gaming" refers to video or online games that do not pay out money.
The total amount available for this funding opportunity is anticipated to be $1,100,000, enough to fund approximately eleven (11) grants.
The maximum amount per grant is anticipated to be $100,000 for up to one year.
These timelines are estimates and subject to change
- Launch: Summer 2023
- Application Deadline: Fall 2023
- Funding Start Date: Spring 2024
The official CIHR funding opportunity will be posted on ResearchNet in the coming weeks.
For a full list of CIHR funding opportunities, please visit ResearchNet.
CIHR Contact Centre
For general inquiries please contact:
Disclaimer: The information contained herein is anticipatory only and does not represent an official funding commitment by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research. Accordingly, the information, contained herein may differ from the official funding opportunity that will be published on ResearchNet
- Date modified: