Artificial Intelligence for Public Health (AI4PH) Summer Institute Travel Awards
The Summer Institute is funded by CIHR-IPPH and is a key component of CIHR-IPPH Equitable AI Initiative. IPPH is committed to building research capacity to use artificial intelligence (AI) approaches to address population and public health challenges.
- To provide travel awards to individuals accepted to the 2nd annual Artificial Intelligence for Public Health (AI4PH) Summer Institute hosted in Montréal, Québec from July 17 to 22, 2022.
|Application deadline||June 10, 2022|
|Anticipated Notice of Decision||July 11, 2022|
|Funding Start Date||July 25, 2022|
CIHR financial contributions for this initiative are subject to availability of funds. Should CIHR funding levels not be available or are decreased due to unforeseen circumstances, CIHR reserves the right to reduce, defer or suspend financial contributions to awards received as a result of this funding opportunity.
- The total funds available for this opportunity are $60,000.
- The maximum amount awarded for a single award is $2000.
- Up to 30 awards are available. If there are more applications than funds available, applicants will be offered the award based on merit as determined by the Summer Institute organizers.
For an application to be eligible:
- Applicants must be doctoral or postdoctoral fellow trainees, or early career researchers (within 5 years of first appointment as an independent researcher) and affiliated with a Canadian institution (e.g., university, college, health institute or agency). Note, as a result of COVID-19, the term to qualify for ECR status has been extended to 0-84 months from 0-60 months.
- Applicants must be accepted to participate in the AI4PH Summer Institute. They must submit proof of their acceptance offer by the AI4PH Summer Institute Organizing Committee.
- Applications from trainees or early career researchers conducting or planning research in artificial intelligence, equity, and/or public health are encouraged.
For additional eligibility requirements for individuals, refer to the Individual Eligibility Requirements.
General CIHR Policies
Successful applicants funded through this funding opportunity and any other persons working on the project must fully comply with the applicable CIHR Funding Policies.
- Travel and accommodation for participant (all travel must be by the lowest economy fare)
- Per diem for meals (when not already provided by the Summer Institute; applicants must use their home institution’s per diem rates)
Conditions of Funding
- CIHR-IPPH will provide funding for travel, to enable participation in the AI4PH Summer Institute (occurring in Montreal, Quebec between July 17 and July 22, 2022), up to a maximum of $2000. If an applicant who receives funding does not attend the entire event, the funds must be returned to CIHR.
- In the event that the disbursement of funds is delayed for approved applicants and the event takes place prior to the receipt of funds, applicants will need to cover their own travel costs in the interim without guarantee of receiving the award.
Relevance Review Process
- CIHR-IPPH will perform a relevance review to identify applications that are in alignment with the objectives of the award and meet the eligibility criteria.
- Applications that are not deemed to be relevant will be withdrawn from the competition.
Review Process and Funding Decision
The AI4PH Summer Institute Organizing Committee will review applications submitted to their program. CIHR-IPPH will receive the final scores and ranking list from the AI4PH Summer Institute Organizing Committee and will fund travel awards that meet the award eligibility criteria from top down in rank order based on the AI4PH Summer Institute Organizing Committee’s final ranking list, until all funds have been allocated.
How to Apply
Applications must be compiled into a single PDF and emailed to email@example.com. Please use the following text in the subject line of the email: AI4PH Summer Institute 2022 – Travel Award.
Please provide in your application:
- A copy of your acceptance offer confirming your admission to the AI4PH Summer Institute;
- A CIHR Biosketch CV;
- A description of how attendance at the Summer Institute will advance the applicant’s research or career goals and contribute to the field of AI and public health in Canada or internationally (200 words maximum);
- A total amount of the funds being requested, along with a budget justification (with costs broken down by travel, accommodation, and per diems, as applicable) (1 page maximum)
- Consent form: The nominee must complete and sign the following form: “Applicant consent form for use and disclosure of personal information provided to CIHR for peer review” [ PDF (288 KB) ]
- Signatures of applicants and Institution Paid Official: Signatures must be included in a table for the applicant, and individual(s) with signing authority from the Institution Paid. Original signatures are not required. The scanned signed signature pages must be included when submitting the application.
For all inquiries please contact:
Telephone: 416-736-2100 ext. 33364
- Date modified: