Working Meeting to discuss CIHR peer review processes
July 13, 2016
On July 13, 2016, CIHR hosted a Working Meeting with members of the health research community to review and jointly address concerns raised regarding CIHR's peer review processes.
On behalf of the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) and the members of Canada's health research community who took part today, we are pleased to announce the outcomes of the July 13 working meeting on CIHR peer review.
When Minister Philpott asked us to convene this meeting, it was our collective hope that an open and honest exchange of ideas would allow us to move forward together as a strong and united health research family.
We are pleased to say that we have achieved our goal. Together, we have arrived at a consensus on concrete solutions that CIHR will implement over the coming months to further strengthen our peer review process.
The group agreed to the immediate implementation of the following:
- Face-to-face discussions will be restored and virtual discussions will no longer be needed;
- Teams of Virtual Chairs and Scientific Officers will be organized to oversee a group of applications throughout the process;
- A complementary iterative process will be implemented for indigenous focussed research;
- A working group will be created to further refine the recommendations moving forward.
As CIHR moves forward with implementing these recommendations, it commits to keeping the research community apprised of its progress.
The discussion today has allowed us to make great strides toward building a peer review system that is a trusted, valued resource, as well as a source of pride for Canada's health research community.
- July 29, 2016: Update from Dr. Paul Kubes, Chair of the CIHR Peer Review Working Group
- July 25, 2016: Working Meeting of the Health Research Community – Report
- July 22, 2016: Peer Review Working Group established to advise CIHR
- July 13, 2016: Statement from the Minister of Health: Outcomes of the working meeting of the health research community
- Working Meeting to discuss peer review processes
- Outcomes of CIHR Working Meeting with Research Community (July 22, 2016)
- Introductory remarks by CIHR President
- List of meeting participants
- July 5, 2016: Message from the Minister of Health to Canada's health research community
- July 5, 2016: Message from Dr. Alain Beaudet to Canada's health research community
- Date modified: