Foundation Grant: 2018-2019 competition results
The Foundation Grant: 2018-2019 competition has approved 28 research grants, for a total investment of $81,416,036Footnote 1. The average grant size is $2,907,716 over seven years.
As noted in the Review Process for the Foundation Grant program, CIHR committed to correct gender equity issues within the program. For the 2018-19 Foundation Grant competition, CIHR took corrective measures to ensure gender equity at stage 1 (by inviting additional female applicants to stage 2) and at the Final Assessment Stage.
CIHR recently announced that the Foundation Grant program will be discontinued. As such, the 2018-19 competition is the last (i.e., no further Foundation Grant competitions will be launched).
Breakdown of competition results
|Province||Number of applications submitted||% of applications submitted||Number of applications funded||% of applications funded||Province-specific success rate|
|Prince Edward Island||0||0.00%||0||0.00%||-|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||1||0.46%||0||0.00%||0%|
Note: As some of the applications have been approved conditionally, these specific applications will not appear in the detailed funding decisions database until the conditions have been resolved.
|Application breakdown||Number of applications submitted||% of applications submitted||Number of applications funded||% of applications funded||Category-specific success rate|
|Investigators who identify as female||63||29.17%||9||32.14%||14.29%|
|Submitted in French||0||0.00%||0||0.00%||-|
|Indigenous health research||2||0.93%||1||3.57%||50.00%|
|Biomedical (Pillar 1)||131||60.65%||18||64.29%||13.74%|
|Clinical (Pillar 2)||41||18.98%||5||17.86%||12.20%|
|Health systems/services (Pillar 3)||17||7.87%||1||3.57%||5.88%|
|Social/Cultural/Environmental/Population Health (Pillar 4)||27||12.50%||4||14.29%||14.81%|
Peer Review Details
The Foundation Grant competition was supported by a three-stage competition and review process.
- 216 applications were received and reviewed.
- A total of 121 individual reviewers participated in the peer review process, which was monitored by 26 Competition Chairs.
- 178 applicants were successful at Stage 1 and were invited to submit a Stage 2 application.
- 147 applications were received and reviewed.
- A total of 98 individual reviewers participated in the peer review process, which was monitored by 18 Competition Chairs.
- 45 applications were successful at Stage 2.
- Of those 45 applications, CIHR identified the highest-ranked applications to be considered for funding. These applications constituted the "green zone" and did not require further evaluation.
- The remaining applications moved to the final assessment stage.
Final assessment stage
- The final assessment stage committee held a face-to-face meeting. The committee was comprised of 17 Competition Chairs from Stage 2, a Chair and a Scientific Officer.
- 33 applications with high consolidated rankings and significant variation in those rankings were reviewed.
- Date modified: