Foundation Grant: 2017-2018 competition results
The Foundation Grant: 2017-2018 competition has approved 36 research grants, for a total investment of $101,189,715Footnote 1. The average grant size is $2,810,825 over seven years.
|Province||Applications submitted||Applications funded||Province-specific success rate|
|Prince Edward Island||0||0||N/A|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||0||0||N/A|
|Province||% Applications submitted||% Applications funded|
|Prince Edward Island||0%||0%|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||0%||0%|
Note: This table shows the applications from each province as a percentage (proportion) of the total number of applications: 1) submitted to the competition; and 2) funded through the competition. It does not include the success rates by province. For success rates, please refer to Table 1: Application numbers and success rates by province.
Note: As some of the applications have been approved conditionally, these specific applications will not appear in the detailed funding decisions database until the conditions have been resolved.
Breakdown of competition results
|Application breakdown||Applications submitted||Applications funded||Category-specific success rate|
|Investigators who identify as female||84||10||11.9%|
|Submitted in French||5||0||0%|
|Pillar I – Biomedical research||196||27||13.8%|
|Pillar II – Clinical research||56||5||8.9%|
|Pillar III – Health systems / services research||27||2||7.4%|
|Pillar IV – Social / cultural / environmental / population health research||24||2||8.3%|
|Senior career investigators||190||24||12.6%|
|Application breakdown||% of applications submitted||% of applications funded|
|Investigators who identify as female||27.7%||27.8%|
|Submitted in French||1.7%||0|
|Pillar I – Biomedical research||64.7%||75%|
|Pillar II – Clinical research||18.5%||13.9%|
|Pillar III – Health systems / services research||8.9%||5.6%|
|Pillar IV – Social / cultural / environmental / population health research||7.9%||5.6%|
|Senior career investigators||62.7%||66.7%|
Note: This table shows the applications in each category as a percentage (proportion) of the total number of applications: 1) submitted to the competition; and 2) funded through the competition. It does not include the success rates.
Peer Review Details
The Foundation Grant competition was supported by a three-stage competition and review process.
- 303 applications were received and reviewed.
- A total of 134 individual reviewers participated in the peer review process, which was monitored by 32 Competition Chairs. All applications were assigned to 4 reviewers.
- The peer review process resulted in a total of 1212 individual reviews.
- 187 applicants were successful at Stage 1 and were invited to submit a Stage 2 application.
- 163 applications were received and reviewed.
- A total of 93 individual reviewers participated in the peer review process, which was monitored by 19 Competition Chairs. All Stage 2 applications were reviewed by 5 reviewers.
- The peer review process resulted in total of 815 individual reviews.
- 58 applications were successful at Stage 2.
- Of those 58 applications, CIHR identified the highest ranked applications to be considered for funding. These applications constituted the "green zone" and did not require further evaluation. The remaining applications moved to the final assessment stage.
Final assessment stage
- The final assessment stage committee held a face-to-face meeting. The committee was comprised of 19 Competition Chairs from Stage 2, a Chair and a Scientific Officer.
- 36 applications with high consolidated rankings and significant variation in those rankings were reviewed.
- Date modified: