The President’s Fund provides small grants in non-traditional areas and in cases where there are no other possible opportunities to apply for funding from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), to support an initiative, event or activity.
The President’s Fund supports:
- initiatives whose objectives are consistent with CIHR’s vision, mandate and strategic priorities as outlined in CIHR’s Strategic Plan 2021-2031;
- national and international events that provide outreach opportunities or increase the profile of CIHR or CIHR-funded research; and
- research or knowledge translation activities where the funding request falls outside of CIHR’s regular funding programs.
The President’s Fund has an annual budget of $200,000 and provides grants of up to $25,000 per request.
The President's Fund Committee evaluates all requests. The Committee makes funding recommendations to the President of CIHR.
The President’s Fund Committee applies the following criteria in reviewing requests:
- Consistency with CIHR's mandate, vision, and strategic priorities
- Opportunity for outreach, increased profile for health research, or support for knowledge translation
- National or international focus
- Consideration of equity, diversity and inclusion
- Budget review:
- Are the budget items appropriately costed?
- Do the budget items to be covered by CIHR fall within CIHR’s allowable costs?
- Is the CIHR funding requested $25,000 or less?
- Does the budget identify non-CIHR sources of financial support?
- Absence of any other eligible CIHR funding opportunity
Applicants should review the Use of Funds section of the Tri-Agency (CIHR, NSERC and SSHRC) Financial Administration Guide for a complete listing and description of allowable costs and activities.
Conditions of Funding
Successful applicants must comply fully with the CIHR Funding Policies.
Funding recipients are required to acknowledge CIHR’s support in all communications related to the initiative, event or activity.
How to Apply
Individuals, research institutions, and other organizations are eligible to submit requests.
Before applying, applicants should consult CIHR's funding opportunity database to determine whether their request is eligible for any of the current funding opportunities.
Applicants must submit requests using the President’s Fund Request Form. Applicants should download and complete the form with the information requested.
- All sections of the form must be completed. Incomplete forms will not be reviewed.
- Applicants may be asked to provide additional information to support the evaluation of their request.
Applicants should email the completed form along with any supporting documents to the President’s Office at email@example.com.
There are no fixed deadlines to submit requests to the President’s Fund. However, applicants are encouraged to submit requests six months prior to the event to provide adequate time for review and evaluation.
Notification of Decision
Applicants will receive written notification of the outcome of the evaluation of their request.
If the funding recipient is an organization, as opposed to an individual researcher or eligible research institution, the organization will be required to sign a collaborative agreement outlining the conditions of funding.
For more information, please contact:
Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- Date modified: