PHIRIC Planning Committee
Since late 2005, several individuals and organizations have come together to explore the possibility of developing a collaborative approach to increasing the quality and quantity of population health intervention research with relevance to policy and practice. This emerging collaboration culminated in a national think tank workshop in September 2006, which engaged more than 50 participants from across Canada. These participants worked towards a common understanding of population health intervention research and committed to moving this broad initiative forward on behalf of and with the population and public health community in Canada. The Population Health Intervention Research Initiative for Canada (PHIRIC) was viewed as a vehicle - a platform - to bring coherence to and strengthen existing and emerging relevant initiatives.
The partners represent researchers, policy makers and practitioners working in academia, research funding agencies, non-governmental and governmental organizations. Those guiding PHIRIC bring to the table complementary knowledge, skills and expertise and also links to important networks to further align the intervention research capacity building efforts in Canada. Since the national think tank was held, other organizations have been invited to join the Planning Committee to increase the breadth of perspectives guiding PHIRIC and to facilitate further engagement in this initiative.
- Canadian Institute for Health Information - Canadian Population Health Initiative
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research - Institute of Nutrition, Metabolism & Diabetes
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research - Institute of Population and Public Health
- Propel Centre for Population Health Impact, University of Waterloo
- Institut national de santé publique du Québec
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- Social Research and Demonstration Corporation
- Experts from the research and policy community
The Planning Committee is co-chaired by:
- Ms. Jean Harvey, Director, Canadian Population Health Initiative of the Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI-CPHI) (As of Sept. 1, 2013)
- Dr. Louise Potvin, CIHR-Institute of Population and Public Health Advisory Board Member & Professor, Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, University of Montréal
The Propel Centre for Population Health Impact (University of Waterloo) provides secretariat support for the initiative.
- Date modified: