Upcoming Funding Opportunity: Health System Impact (HSI) Fellowship
The Health System Impact Fellowship is led by CIHR’s Institute of Health Services and Policy Research (IHSPR) in partnership with CIHR’s Institute of Aging (IA), Institute of Cancer Research (ICR), Institute of Circulatory and Respiratory Health (ICRH), Institute of Genetics (IG), Institute of Gender and Health (IGH), Institute of Human Development, Child and Youth Health (IHDCYH), Institute of Infection and Immunity (III), Institute of Indigenous Peoples’ Health (IIPH), Institute of Musculoskeletal Health and Arthritis (IMHA), Institute of Nutrition, Metabolism and Diabetes (INMD), Institute of Neurosciences, Mental Health and Addiction (INMHA), Institute of Population and Public Health (IPPH), Centre for Research on Pandemic Preparedness and Health Emergencies (CRPPHE), Drug Safety and Effectiveness Network (DSEN), Fonds de recherche du Québec –Santé (FRQS), Michael Smith Health Research BC (Health Research BC), Research New Brunswick (ResearchNB) and Saskatchewan Health Research Foundation (SHRF).
The Health System Impact (HSI) Fellowship provides highly qualified PhD trainees and postdoctoral researchers in health services and policy research/related fields with the opportunity to develop embedded research projects/programs that address the most pressing problems faced by health system organizations and to support evidence-informed decision-making.
Central to this program is participation in a national cohort and professional development aligned to the HSPR Enriched Core Competency Framework.
The HSI Fellowship comprises two streams aligned to different career stages: PhD & Postdoctoral Fellow Streams (launched annually): These streams are for PhD trainees and postdoctoral researchers who are currently enrolled in a doctoral program or have completed their PhD, and provides a one or two-year embedded research experiential learning opportunity within a health system organization.
- Doctoral Fellows receive a one-year experiential learning opportunity where they are embedded in their health system partner organization for at least 60% of their time focused on an impact-oriented project of direct relevance to their partner organization. The remaining time (up to 40%), is protected to continue with their Doctoral program commitments.
- Postdoctoral Fellows receive a two-year experiential learning opportunity where they are embedded in their health system partner organization for at least 70% of their time focused on their impact-oriented program of work. The remaining time (up to 30%), is protected for academic research.
- Note: the Health System Impact Early Career Embedded Researcher Stream is anticipated to be launched again in fall 2025.
- HSI Fellowship for Doctoral Trainees: The maximum amount per doctoral award is $50,000 per year for up to 1 year ($45,000 stipend plus $5,000 professional development training and research allowance).
- HSI Fellowship for Postdoctoral Fellows: The maximum amount per post-doctoral award is $155,000 total for 2 years ($70,000 stipend per year, plus $7,500 professional development training and research allowance per year)
- Note: CIHR, FRQS and Health Research BC will contribute up to a maximum of 70% of the total award value (i.e., $35,000 of the $50,000 doctoral award, and $108,500 of the $155,000 post-doctoral award). Applicants must secure the remaining 30% of the award value in cash from the host partner organization at the time of application.
- ResearchNB and SHRF have expressed interest in supporting the 30% host partner organization funding contribution for applicants working with host partner organizations in their respective provinces.
How to find a host partner organization
Our host Partner Linkage Tool will feature a list of organizations that have expressed interest in hosting doctoral trainees or post-doctoral fellows. Note: This is not a mandatory tool. Applicants may pursue opportunities with profiled organizations and/or organizations that are not profiled.
Are you a health system organization looking to host a fellow?
- Fill out our Partner Linkage Tool online form to ensure your profile is posted on our web page by the funding opportunity launch dates!
- Join us for a Host Organization/Academic Institution information session on December 12, 2023 (12:00 – 1:00 pm ET). Register here.
These timelines are estimates and subject to change.
Launch Date: Late Fall 2023
Information Webinar: January 9 2024 12pm-1pm ET for applicants. Join here.
Applications Due: Winter 2024
Fellowship start date: September 1, 2024
CIHR Contact Centre
For general inquiries please contact:
Disclaimer: The information contained in this pre-announcement of the Health System Impact Fellowship is subject to change and does not commit CIHR or partners to the requirements outlined in this version.
- Date modified: