Health Research Training Platform (2024/25)
The Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) is pleased to announce the launch of the Health Research Training Platform (2024/25).
This funding opportunity is a collaboration between CIHR’s Training and Career Support unit, Institute of Aging, Institute of Cancer Research, Institute of Genetics, Institute of Health Services and Policy Research, Institute of Infection and Immunity, Institute of Musculoskeletal Health and Arthritis, The Centre for Research on Pandemic Preparedness and Health Emergencies, Genome Canada, and Mitacs.
The Health Research Training Platform (HRTP) funding opportunity is intended to support the development of interdisciplinary, inter-jurisdictional, and intersectoral research training platforms that will attract a diverse cadre of trainees and early career researchers (ECRs), and equip them with the foundational skills and knowledge required for a wide range of careers within and outside of academia. These research training platforms are focused on building capacity in established or emerging areas, within the scope of the research training areas identified in the funding pools outlined below.
The overarching objectives for the upcoming funding opportunity are to:
- support the development of structured, openly available, diverse, inclusive, and sustainable training and mentoring platforms that build Canadian capacity in areas of health research, health issues, scientific opportunities and critical gaps; and
- support the development of skills that increase the likelihood of employability and career prospects of diverse trainees and ECRs across sectors.
Funding pools for this opportunity include:
- Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, and Health Data Sciences
- Brain Health and Cognitive Impairment in Aging
- Health System Impact Training Platform
- One Health: Antimicrobial Resistance
- One Health: Emerging Zoonoses
CIHR will be hosting a webinar to inform participants about the requirements of this funding opportunity and to answer questions. To find out more information and to register, visit the Webinars page.
Partner Linkage Tool
CIHR is providing a Partner Linkage Tool that is intended to facilitate connections and collaborations between potential applicants and/or partners should there be interest. This is not a mandatory tool. Information is provided on a volunteer basis and does not confer any advantages in the evaluation and funding of applications. The table will be updated weekly until the application deadline. If you would like to use this tool, please complete a short survey. The information you provide will appear on CIHR's website. Please note that potential applicants are not required to use the linkage tool or contact those who have submitted their information.
The total amount available for this funding opportunity is anticipated to be $16,250,000, enough to fund approximately 5 training grants. Of this $16,250,000:
- $2,400,000 is available to fund an application relevant to Brain Health and Cognitive Impairment in Aging pool. The maximum amount per grant is $400,000 per year for up to 6 years, for a total of $2,400,000 per grant.
- $2,400,000 is available to fund an application relevant to Health System Impact Training Platform pool. The maximum amount per grant is $400,000 per year for up to 6 years, for a total of $2,400,000 per grant.
- $2,700,000 is available to fund an application relevant to One Health – Antimicrobial Resistance pool. The maximum amount per grant is $450,000 per year for up to 6 years, for a total of $2,700,000 per grant.
- $2,700,000 is available to fund an application relevant to One Health – Emerging Zoonoses pool. The maximum amount per grant is $450,000 per year for up to 6 years, for a total of $2,700,000 per grant.
- $6,050,000 is available to fund an application relevant to Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, and Health Data Sciences pool. The maximum amount per grant is $1,008,333 per year for up to 6 years, for a total of $6,050,000 per grant.
For full details on this opportunity including the funds available and the eligibility criteria, please visit Health Research Training Platform (HRTP) 2024/25 Funding Opportunity.
Applicant Webinar: October 19, 2023
Registration Deadline: November 15, 2023
Application Deadline: February 1, 2024
Anticipated Notice of Decision: August 1, 2024
CIHR Contact Centre
For general inquiries please contact:
- Date modified: