Global Cardiovascular Research Funders Forum
Facilitating International Clinical Trials
The GCRFF Multinational Clinical Trials Initiative is a collaboration between major international funders of cardiovascular clinical research:
It aims to facilitate the coordinated consideration of investigator-led multinational clinical trials by providing a mechanism through which researchers can submit a single proposal for a multinational cardiovascular trial, for timely consideration by individual research funders. Each funder can then decide whether they wish to fund the element of the trial in their jurisdiction, with a full understanding of the wider components of trial design and funding. The aim is to deliver the following benefits:
- Help researchers in different countries to collaborate more effectively and plan ambitious, practice-changing clinical trials for successful delivery from the outset.
- Allow individual research funders to input into the trial design at the outset, in contrast to the current situation, where additional funders are often approached late after initial support for the trial has been secured from one funder, and the trial has already started.
- Reduce the risk to the funder(s) because there is greater assurance that the trial will be deliverable and costs are spread.
Please note: the GCRFF Multinational Clinical Trials Initiative provides a mechanism to support better coordination of consideration of multinational trial funding. It does not fund trials directly, nor does it guarantee funding by individual funders. Individual members of the Expert Advisory Panel assessing Expressions of Interest should not be contacted by researchers directly.
"The Institute of Circulatory and Respiratory Health (ICRH) is proud to represent the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) on the Global Cardiovascular Research Funders Forum (GCRFF). The global COVID-19 pandemic has illustrated the value of innovative, collaborative and high-quality science with rapid mobilization of knowledge into practice, and these developments are important silver-linings of the pandemic period. We hope the GCRFF, and specifically the clinical trials portal, will encourage this continued international collaboration to rapidly advance science on the prevention, diagnosis, and management of cardiovascular and cerebrovascular conditions."
About the GCRFF
The Global Cardiovascular Research Funders Forum (GCRFF) has been established as a forum for dialogue and collaboration between major international cardiovascular research funders. Founding members include:
- The American Heart Association
- The British Heart Foundation
- The Danish Heart Foundation
- The Dutch Heart Foundation
- The German Centre for Cardiovascular Research
- The Leducq Foundation
- The Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada
- The Institute of Circulatory and Respiratory Health, Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Canada
- The National Heart Foundation of Australia
- The National Heart Foundation of New Zealand
- The Swedish Heart Lung Foundation
The mission of the group is to advance global cardiovascular health by catalysing, supporting and promoting transformational international research efforts in heart, stroke and circulatory diseases.
Please contact Dr. Ryan Perry (Associate Scientific Director, CIHR Institute of Circulatory and Respiratory Health) at email@example.com for more information.
- Date modified: