Infographic: Research for a healthier Canada
At the CIHR, we believe research has the power to change lives.
As the Government of Canada’s health research investment agency, we fund world-class research across the country. Led by talented teams at universities and hospitals, this research is helping to:
- develop new medicines and treatments
- strengthen our health care system
- improve the health of Canadians and people around the world
CIHR is comprised of 13 research institutes dedicated to exploring a range of health topics:
- Circulatory and Respiratory Health
- Gender and Health
- Health Services and Policy
- Human Development, Child and Youth Health
- Indigenous Peoples’ Health
- Infection and Community
- Musculoskeletal Health and Arthritis
- Neuroscience, Mental Health and Addiction
- Nutrition, Metabolism and Diabetes
- Population and Public Health
Every year, we invest $1 billion of taxpayer money + $200 million of partner funding into grants and awards that support 15,000 independent health researchers and trainees across Canada.
Our investments help fund research across four primary pillars:
- Biomedical Research
- Understanding how the body works to better prevent, diagnose, and treat disease.
- Clinical Research
- Exploring how to improve patient care and overall quality of life.
- Health Services Research
- Finding ways to strengthen the effectiveness and efficiency of our health care system.
- Social, Cultural, Environmental and Population Health Research
- Understanding how social, cultural and environmental factors affect our health.
The best health for all, powered by outstanding research.
Learn more by visiting the About us webpage.
- Date modified: