Pre-announcement: Patient-Oriented Research Training Grant – Health System Stream
This funding opportunity is now available on ResearchNet.
The Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), through the Strategy for Patient-Oriented Research (SPOR) and the Institute of Health Services and Policy Research (IHSPR), is pleased to announce an upcoming funding opportunity: Patient-Oriented Research Training Grants – Health System Stream.
Program Launch: April 12, 2022
Application Deadline: September 8, 2022
Notice of Decision: February 15, 2023
Funding Start Date: March 01, 2023
*These timelines are estimates and subject to change.
The Nominated Principal Applicants for this opportunity are non-governmental health systems or related organizations, which may be a private for-profit or not-for-profit organization at the local, regional, provincial/territorial, or national level (e.g., national health or health-related organization, Indigenous health organization [community-based or other], hospital, health authority, registered Canadian health charity, health-related professional association, etc.).
The Strategy for Patient-Oriented Research (SPOR) is a national coalition of federal, provincial and territorial partners, including patients (a term inclusive of individuals with personal experience of a health issue and informal caregivers, including family and friends), health authorities, academic health centres, charities, philanthropic organizations, private sector, and others, dedicated to the integration of research into care.
The aim of the funding opportunity is to build capacity for the uptake of patient-oriented research (POR) in the Canadian health system by providing non-governmental health systems or related organizations (i.e., the Nominated Principal Applicants (NPAs)) with an opportunity to embed POR principles, practices, and findings within their health care contexts. This will be accomplished by knowledge users (or "implementation specialists”) employed at the NPA organizations who will receive training, mentorship, and practical opportunities to embed POR evidence. These grants are intended to be flexible to meet the specific needs of each NPA organization, the implementation specialist, and the relevant community.
The objective of this funding opportunity is to build capacity for leadership in POR through meaningful and culturally safe practices by:
- Creating opportunities for non-governmental Canadian health systems or related organizations to embed patient-oriented research and principles, practices and findings within their mandate, policies, and/or activities; and
- Equipping implementation specialists with the relevant knowledge and skills needed to increase the uptake of patient-oriented research and related principles, practices and findings within the Canadian health system.
- The total amount available for this funding opportunity is $2,400,000, enough to fund up to 12 grants. The maximum amount per grant is $100,000 per year for up to two years, for a total of $200,000 per grant.
- Of the total $2,400,000:
- $2,000,000 is available from SPOR to fund 10 applications relevant to the general pool
- $400,000 is available from IHSPR to fund 2 applications relevant to the Health Services and Policy Research pool
Applicants must secure partner contributions from non-federal sources to match the total CIHR contribution at a minimum of a 1:1 ratio. Matching partner contributions can include up to 50% eligible in-kind contributions. Partner contributions cannot be funds that have previously been leveraged for SPOR or other CIHR initiatives.
For general inquiries please contact:
CIHR Contact Centre
Toll Free: 1-888-603-4178
- Date modified: