Insurance coverage for CIHR VolunteersCIHR has taken out insurance coverage as follows:
- Directors & Officers and the Errors & Omissions Liability coverage
- Commercial General Liability coverage
This insurance coverage is applicable only to those volunteers who are working for CIHR (or another commonly used term – “on duty for CIHR”). The coverage territory of this policy applies to occurrences worldwide, but only to claims, demands or proceedings first brought within the territorial limits and jurisdictions of Canada (and also within the territorial limits and jurisdictions on the United States for commercial general liability claims).
For the purposes of this insurance, a “Volunteer” is defined as person(s), i.e., volunteers, including individuals serving as volunteer directors, board members or trustees, who provide services directly to or on behalf of Canadian Institutes of Health Research, without compensation or any other thing of value in lieu of compensation, other than reimbursement for expenses actually incurred. Such persons may serve as individuals or as members of groups such as non-profit organizations (as defined for purposes of the Income Tax Act). However, contractual or fee-for-service arrangements that non-profit organizations have within Canadian Institutes of Health Research are excluded from this.
Directors & Officers and Errors & Omissions Liability Insurance
This insurance will cover, subject to the terms and conditions of the policy, expenses which may be incurred as a result of litigious action taken against (a) volunteer(s) in the discharge of (his)(her)(their) duties if,
- that person performed duties in good faith with a view to the best interests of CIHR,
- in case of a criminal or administrative action or proceeding that is enforced by a monetary penalty, that person had reasonable grounds for believing that the conduct was lawful; (Note: Penalties and criminal activities are not covered) and,
- that person acted without willful neglect or gross negligence.
Commercial General Liability Insurance
This insurance will cover, subject to the terms and conditions of the policy, expenses which may be incurred as a result of litigious action taken against (a) volunteer(s) in the discharge of (his)(her)(their) duties related to compensatory damages because of bodily injury, property damage, personal injury or advertising injury to a third party.
- Date modified: