Launch: Netherlands-Canada Type 2 Diabetes Research Consortium
The Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) and The Netherlands Organisation for Health Research and Development (ZonMw), The Dutch Diabetes Research Foundation (Diabetes Fonds), and Health~Holland (Health~Holland) are pleased to announce the launch of the Netherlands-Canada Type 2 Diabetes Research Consortium.
Partner linkage tool
In order to assist the establishment of international, collaborative teams, CIHR has developed a partnering tool for the Netherlands-Canada Type 2 Diabetes Research Consortium which offers researchers the opportunity to search for partners and to present their expertise to the community. This is an optional step in the application process and does not confer any advantages to the applicants.
The discovery of insulin is arguably one of the most significant clinical research findings of the 20th century, impacting the lives of billions of people with diabetes. Not only is insulin used for the treatment of type 1 diabetes, but by about 10 years after diagnosis, up to 50% of people diagnosed with type 2 diabetes require insulin therapy to achieve appropriate blood glucose controlFootnote 1. Much has been learned about the pathogenesis of diabetes and new important treatments have been generated over the past century; however, the prevalence of type 2 diabetes is increasing dramatically as are the associated complications.
Through the Netherlands-Canada Type 2 Diabetes Research Consortium, ZonMw, the Dutch Diabetes Research Foundation, Health~Holland and CIHR aim to:
- Support world-leading collaborative research and development in type 2 diabetes.
- Enhance existing partnerships and develop new partnerships between the Netherlands and Canada in the area of type 2 diabetes research.
- Strengthen the strategic relationship between the Netherlands and Canada in health research.
The objective of this funding opportunity is to accelerate research and development to improve the lives of people with type 2 diabetes in Canada and the Netherlands through an internationally competitive and innovative Netherlands-Canada Type 2 Diabetes Research Consortium. The objectives of this call are to support research and development with a considerable economic and societal impact that:
- focuses on prevention, reversal or remission of type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes;
- improves the quality of life for individuals with type 2 diabetes and their families;
- leads to sustainable collaborations between Dutch and Canadian type 2 diabetes researchers.
The Netherlands-Canada Type 2 Diabetes Research Consortium will support the formation of one international consortium between Dutch researchers funded through the Diabetes II Breakthrough Projects, Netherlands-based for-profit enterprises and Canadian researchers, and will leverage the expertise of type 2 diabetes researchers in both countries. The 20 Dutch Diabetes II Breakthrough Projects are funded by a through a ZonMw and Diabetes Fonds research call launched in 2018; project abstracts details are available on the ZonMw web site.
This initiative will involve two stages for Canadian applicants:
- CIHR Travel Awards: will provide support for Canadian researchers to attend a Workshop in the Netherlands, December 10-11, 2019. The Workshop will bring together Canadian type 2 diabetes researchers and funded Dutch researchers from the Diabetes II Breakthrough Projects competition, people living with type 2 diabetes, and potential Netherlands-based industry partners. The objectives of the workshop are to:
- Create new collaborations between Dutch and Canadian diabetes researchers.
- Develop joint research plans to prevent or reverse type 2 diabetes.
- Stimulate co-creation of translational solutions by involving patients and health organisations in the creation of joint research activities on diabetes.
- Enlarge impact for people with diabetes by partnering with entrepreneurs and other end users.
- The Netherlands-Canada Type 2 Diabetes Research Consortium competition: will provide funding for one Netherlands-Canada Type 2 Diabetes Research Consortium. The Consortium will build on one or more of the Diabetes II Breakthrough Projects, but may also include new projects that are conceptually linked under a unifying theme or theme areas.
The Consortium will require a Dutch lead Nominated Principal Applicant (NPA) and a Canadian lead NPA who will equally share leadership and management for the consortium. The NPA from the Netherlands must be a researcher currently funded by the Diabetes II Breakthrough Programme.
In addition to the NPAs, the Consortium must include:
Up to 3 additional researchers (as Principal Applicants or co-applicants) from Canada. Canadian applicants will not be required to have received a travel award to attend the Workshop, nor will they have to attend the Workshop to be eligible to apply to lead or participate in the Consortium.
A minimum of 3 funded Project Leads as co-applicants from the Netherlands Diabetes II Breakthrough Projects. New co-applicants from the Netherlands (not funded in the Diabetes II Breakthrough Programme) will also be eligible to join the Consortium. The Dutch component of the consortium should include at least one for-profit enterprise.
NPAs will jointly develop a common research application and apply for funding from their respective funding agency. It is expected that the research effort on both sides should be comparable.
The total amount available for this funding opportunity is approximately $5,586,000 CAD, enough to fund one consortium.
- The total amount available from CIHR for the Canadian Travel Awards is $30,000, enough to fund approximately 10 travel awards.
- The total amount available from CIHR for the Netherlands-Canada Type 2 Diabetes Research Consortium is $2,000,000 CAD over 5 years, enough to fund the Canadian component of the Consortium.
- ZonMw, the Dutch Diabetes Research Foundation and Health~Holland has up to €2.5M ($3,586,000 CADFootnote *) available. The Consortium will be 5 years in duration and must start in January 2021.
CIHR Travel Awards
|Application Deadline||September 2019|
|Notice of Decision||November 2019|
|Workshop||December 10-11, 2019|
Netherlands-Canada Type 2 Diabetes Research Consortium
|Registration Deadline||January 2020|
|Application Deadline||February 2020|
|Notice of Decision||July 2020|
|Funding Start Date||January 2021|
Full initiative details will be available soon. For questions about this strategic initiative and research objectives, please contact: email@example.com
For Canadian-based questions please contact:
CIHR Contact Centre
Toll Free: 1-888-603-4178
Disclaimer: The information contained in this announcement is subject to change and does not commit CIHR, ZonMw, Dutch Diabetes Research Foundation and Health~Holland to the requirements outlined above. The final funding opportunity will be published on ZonMw, Dutch Diabetes Research Foundation and Health~Holland websites’ and on CIHR’s Funding Opportunity Database, ResearchNet.
- Date modified: