Best Brains Exchanges 2017
- Best Brains Exchanges 2020
- Best Brains Exchanges 2019
- Best Brains Exchanges 2018
- Best Brains Exchanges 2017
Best Brains Exchanges (BBEs) are in-camera sessions. As a result, not all Best Brains Exchange topics and presenters are listed here. The following information is being shared with consent.
For more information on any of the past Best Brains Exchanges listed below please contact BBE-EMC@cihr-irsc.gc.ca.
Alternative models of care to manage mental health and addiction services in a diverse province (Provincial – NL)
Hosted in collaboration with the Department of Health and Community Services, Newfoundland and Labrador and the Newfoundland and Labrador Centre of Applied Health Research, Memorial University
- Thomas E. Ungar, Psychiatrist-in-Chief at St. Michael’s Hospital, and Associate Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Toronto
- David A Richards, Professor of Mental Health Services Research and NIHR Senior Investigator, University of Exeter Medical School, University of Exeter (England)
- Jai Shah, Psychiatrist and researcher at the Program for Prevention and Early Intervention in Psychosis (PEPP-Montréal) at the Douglas Mental Health University Institute and McGill University
- Steve Mathias, Psychiatrist and Medical Manager, Inner City Youth Program, St. Paul’s Hospital, Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, UBC
- Stephen Bornstein, Professor and Director, Newfoundland and Labrador Centre of Applied Health Research, Memorial University
Innovative approaches and pathways used to integrate home and community care with primary health care for elderly persons in rural Canada
Hosted by CIHR in collaboration with Health Canada.
The Best Brains Exchange Meeting Report is available: Innovative approaches and pathways used to integrate home and community care with primary health care for elderly persons in rural Canada.
- Janice Keefe, Professor & Director, Nova Scotia Centre on Aging, Mount Saint Vincent University
- Samir Sinha, Director of Geriatrics, Sinai Health System and Associate Professor, Institute of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation, University of Toronto
- Grace Warner, Associate Professor, School of Occupational Therapy, School of Nursing, Department of Community Health and Epidemiology, Dalhousie University
- Paul Williams, Professor, Institute of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation, University of Toronto
- Yves Joanette, Scientific Director, Institute of Aging, Canadian Institutes of Health Research
Potential funding methodologies for the future of continuing care in Nova Scotia
Hosted by CIHR in collaboration with the Nova Scotia Department of Health and Wellness and the Nova Scotia Health Research Foundation.
The BBE brought together leading Canadian and international researchers in the field, as well as provincial policy makers.
- Michel Grignon, Professor Department of Economics, McMaster University
- Réjean Hébert, Professor, School of Public Health, Université de Montréal
- Naoki Ikegami, Professor Emeritus, School of Public Health, St Luke's International University
- Sheila Wildeman, Associate Professor of Law and Associate Director, Health Law Institute, Schulich School of Law, Dalhousie University
Evidence-based practice for the provision of mental health services to women offenders: focus on Indigenous women and women who have experienced trauma
Hosted by CIHR in collaboration with Correctional Service Canada.
- Caroline Tait, Associate Professor, Departments of Psychiatry, University of Saskatchewan
- Suzanne Stewart, Associate Professor and Director, Waakebiness-Bryce Institute, University of Toronto
- Colleen Dell, Professor, Department of Sociology and School of Public Health and Centennial Enhancement Chair in One Health and Wellness, University of Saskatchewan
- Kelly Taylor, Facilitator & Director Reintegration Programs Division, Correctional Service of Canada
Measuring and managing the risks and benefits of vaping products in Canada
Hosted by CIHR in collaboration with Health Canada.
- Mark Tyndall, Executive Medical Director, British Columbia Centre for Disease Control and Professor of Medicine, University of British Columbia
- David B. Abrams, Professor, The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and Professor of Oncology (adjunct), Georgetown University Medical Center, Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Cathy Backinger, Deputy Director for Research Science US FDA Center for Tobacco Products
- Linda Bauld, Deputy Director of the UK Centre for Tobacco and Alcohol Studies, Professor, Health Policy, University of Stirling
- Steven Hoffman, Scientific Director, Institute of Population and Public Health, Canadian Institutes of Health Research
Suicide prevention in the North
Hosted by CIHR in collaboration with the Government of Nunavut, Nunavut Tunngavik Inc, Health Canada and the Mental Health Commission of Canada.
This Knowledge Exchange brought together Canadian and international researchers, territorial policy makers, decision makers, support workers, and community representatives.
- Normand D’Aragon, Psychologist
- Vanessa Lee, Director, Suicide Prevention Australia, University of Sydney
- Rod McCormick, Professor and Research Chair in Aboriginal Health and Education, Thompson Rivers University
- Laakkuluk Williamson Bathory
An integrated approach for monitoring influenza vaccine effectiveness to inform public health policy and influenza immunization program implementation
Hosted by CIHR in collaboration with the Public Health Agency of Canada and Health Canada.
The BBE brought together leading Canadian and international researchers in the field, as well as provincial and federal policy makers from Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Quebec, The Public Health Agency of Canada and Health Canada.
- Edward Belongia, Marshfield Clinic Research Foundation
- Brendan Flannery, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Ian Gemmill, Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox & Addington Public Health
- Shelly McNeil, Dalhousie University and Canadian Center for Vaccinology
- Danuta Skowronski, BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC)
- Marc Ouellette, Scientific Director, Institute of Infection and Immunity, Canadian Institutes of Health Research
Financing and funding home care: Issues and options
Hosted by CIHR in collaboration with the Government of Alberta Ministry of Health - Continuing Care Branch. The Best Brains Exchange Meeting Report is available: Funding and Financing Home Care: Issues and Options.
The BBE brought together leading Canadian and international researchers in the field, as well as policy makers from Alberta, British Columbia, and Nova Scotia to share and discuss research and implementation evidence on how best to finance and fund home and community care services for Albertans.
- Colleen Flood, Research Chair in Health Law and Policy, University of Ottawa
- Jose-Luis Fernandez, Deputy Director and Associate Professorial Research Fellow at Personal Social Services Research Unit, London School of Economics and Political Science
- Virpi Timonen, Professor, Social Work & Social Policy, Trinity College Dublin
- Walter Wodchis, Associate Professor, Institute of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation, University of Toronto
- Robyn Tamblyn, Scientific Director, Institute of Health Services and Policy Research, Canadian Institutes of Health Research
Unified data management approaches to support quality analytics in the Northwest Territories' Health and Social Services System
Hosted by CIHR in collaboration with the Government of Northwest Territories Department of Health and Social Services.
The BBE brought together leading Canadian researchers in the field, as well as provincial/territorial policy makers from the Northwest Territories, British Columbia, Alberta, and Manitoba to consider how health and social services data can best be used to inform health planning, delivery and evaluation.
- Rick Birtwhistle, Professor, Queen's University and Director, Canadian Primary Care Sentinel Surveillance Network
- Martha Burd, Director, Analysis and Reporting Division, BC Ministry of Health
- Tim Murphy, Vice President, Provincial Platforms and SPOR, Alberta Innovates Health Solutions
- Alison Paprica, Director, Strategic Partnerships, Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences
- Trevor Strome, Director, Analytics & Business Intelligence, Winnipeg Regional Health Authority
- Larry Svenson, Director, Surveillance and Assessment Branch, Alberta Health
- Mark Leggott, Executive Director, Research Data Canada
- Date modified: