Travel Awards: Global Alliance for Chronic Diseases (GACD) Mental Health – Canada-China
Full applications must be submitted.
January 4, 2017 20:00 EST
Anticipated notification of decision.
January 19, 2017
The purpose of this funding opportunity is to support the participation of Canadian investigators in an Application Development Workshop for the Team Grant: GACD Mental Health – Canada-China program. The workshop will be held in Beijing, China on February 21-22, 2017.
The specific objectives of this travel award program are to:
- Enable Canadian scientists with expertise in the prevention and management of mental health disorders and/or implementation research to participate in the GACD Mental Health Canada-China Application Development Workshop.
- To foster the development of strong Canada-China research teams and the submission of applications to the related Team Grant competition.
Further information on the Team Grant: GACD Mental Health – Canada-China funding program is currently available in the pre-announcement on the Institute of Population and Public Health website. The full funding opportunity is scheduled to be posted in ResearchNet in December 2016. Please visit ResearchNet for updates.
Participation in the workshop and the travel award competition is not mandatory in order to apply to the Team Grant: GACD Mental Health – Canada-China funding opportunity.
CIHR's contribution to the amount available for this initiative is subject to availability of funds voted annually to CIHR by parliamentary appropriations, and the conditions that may be attached to them.
- The total amount available for this funding opportunity is $90,000.
- Fifteen (15) awards of up to $6,000 each are available.
Eligibility criteria for all CIHR research funding programs apply. Please refer to the Eligibility Requirements for CIHR Grants and Awards regarding the eligibility requirements for individuals and institutions.
Specific eligibility requirements
Given the limited number of awards available, the intention is to provide support for investigators that are interested in leading a collaborative research project in the capacity of Principal Investigator. CIHR requests that only one application for a travel award be submitted for each group of Canadian investigators interested in submitting a joint application to the Team Grant program.
Eligibility requirements specific to this opportunity include the following:
- The Applicant must be an independent researcher with a faculty appointment at an eligible institution (See Institutional Eligibility Requirements).
Review process and evaluation criteria
Applications to this Travel Awards program will be reviewed by a Review Committee specifically constituted for this purpose. The committee will be of composed of senior CIHR Institute and/or CIHR staff. Committee members will adhere to the Conflict of Interest and Confidentiality Policy of the Federal Research Funding Organizations.
For information on CIHR’s peer review principles, see the Peer Review: Overview section of CIHR’s website.
The following set of evaluation criteria will be considered in the assessment of the applications:
Strength of the Applicant and the Application
- Scientific excellence in the areas of mental health or implementation research relative to career stage (30%).
- Scientific excellence in both mental health and implementation research (10%)
- Experience working with populations of relevance to the Team Grant: GACD – Canada-China funding opportunity including those in China, other low- and middle-income countries and/or indigenous populations in Canada (25%).
- Justification of the applicant’s commitment to developing a collaborative research program with investigators based in China (25%).
- Experience in leading international collaborative research projects (10%).
Upon completion of the review, a ranking list and ratings for the applications that fall in the fundable range shall be created. The list will be used by CIHR for funding decision-making purposes.
Applications will be funded from the top down in order of ranking as far as the budget will allow. Applications will be funded from the top down in order of ranking as far as the budget will allow. Applications that receive a rating below 3.5 will not be funded.
General CIHR guidelines
Recipients should review the Use of Grant Funds section of the Tri-Agency (CIHR, NSERC and SSHRC) Financial Administration Guide for a complete listing and description of allowable costs and activities.
Travel Awards are intended to offset the costs of travel to and from the workshop and travel expenses such as hotel, taxis, and meals when not provided at the workshop.
The Application Development Workshop will start in the morning of Tuesday February 21 and will conclude on Wednesday February 22.
Conditions of funding
Successful applicants funded through this funding opportunity must comply fully with the CIHR Funding Policies. Policies and guidelines cover areas such as Applicant Responsibilities, Official Languages policy, Access to Information and Privacy Acts, and Acknowledgement of CIHR's Support. Successful applicants will be informed of any special financial requirements prior to the release of funds or when they receive CIHR's Authorization for Funding (AFF) document. Please note that due to the competition timelines and workshop date, funds associated to this award may not be received in advance of the workshop.
In addition to CIHR standard guidelines and requirements, the following special requirements shall apply:
- The applicant must be willing to travel to China and actively participate in the full duration of the Application Development Workshop.
- Hotel: This travel award will not cover the cost of accommodation in China. Accommodation in Beijing, China will be provided at no cost to all participants for 3 nights at a select hotel (Feb 20-22 inclusively). If a travel award recipient wishes to prolong his/her stay beyond the workshop dates, it will be at his/her own expense.
- Travel Award recipients are required to report back on their participation at the workshop to their colleagues and to CIHR in writing through a post-workshop survey.
How to apply
Important: Please read all instructions to familiarize yourself with the application process before applying.
- The application process for this funding opportunity is comprised of one step: Application.
- This funding opportunity does not require the use of ResearchNet.
- Complete applications must be submitted by January 4, 2017, 20:00 EST.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- The Nominated Principal Applicant must complete and submit:
- the “GACD Mental Health Canada-China Application Development Travel Award Application Form”; and
- a short CV (i.e., 2 pgs).
- By submitting an application you are agreeing to share personal and nominative information contained in your application with CIHR staff and the Review Committee.
For questions about this initiative and research objectives contact:
- Date modified: