About the College of Reviewers
The College of Reviewers is a member-focused resource designed to professionalize peer review, enhance review quality, and provide a more stable base of experienced reviewers for all funding competitions.
The College is guided by the work of ten College Chairs, and is centred on the core functions of:
- Building capacity to ensure that appropriate expertise is available to support peer review efforts for varied programs and activities that span the full spectrum of Canadian health research;
- Working with the research community to advance equity, diversity, and inclusion practices in peer review processes, including committee recruitment College member recruitment;
- Providing learning and mentoring opportunities to sharpen College members’ skills;
- Enhancing review quality assurance practices in peer review; and
- Managing and supporting the College membership base with appropriate incentives and recognition efforts.
Since its first wave of enrolment in June 2017, the College of Reviewers has grown to approximately 4,500 membersFootnote 1 that have made a commitment to help meet the peer review needs of CIHR’s funding competitions.
The College’s initial enrolment efforts began by seeking out the recruitment of Full Members that met all of the College’s Membership Selection Criteria. In early 2018, the College was pleased to announce a Membership Progression Program as an opportunity to bring researchers into the College who did not yet meet all of the Membership Selection Criteria (for Academics), particularly those in the early stages of their careers.
Moving forward, the College aims to ensure balanced representation within its membership. As part of our targeted recruitment efforts, we will continuously monitor the membership base to fill expertise and demographic gaps in alignment with CIHR's Equity Strategy and competition reviewing needs.
For questions about the following data and/or the College’s overall membership demographics, please contact email@example.com. The following demographic information is based on self-reported data from College Members.
College Membership by Type
As of August 30, 2019 the College’s Membership base is composed of:
4,515 Full Members
38 Associate Members
10 College Chairs
College Membership by Primary Theme
|Theme||College Members||% of Membership Base|
|Biomedical (Theme 1)||2,451||54%|
|Clinical (Theme 2)||796||17%|
|Health Systems/Services (Theme 3)||412||9%|
|Social/Cultural/Environmental/Population Health (Theme 4)||603||13%|
College Membership by Sex
|Sex||College Members||% of Membership Base|
College Members by Geographic Distribution
|Province||College Members||% of Membership Base|
|Prince Edward Island||2||0.04%|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||43||0.94%|
|Other - International||222||4.87%|
- Date modified: