Collaborative Health Research Projects (CHRP) – Frequently Asked Questions

This information is intended to clarify specific details of the CHRP funding opportunity. Please view the current competition for detailed information and requirements.

Can applicants partner with a non-Canadian knowledge/technology user (K/T user) organization?

If a collaboration with a suitable Canadian-based K/T user organization is not possible, justification must be provided for collaborating with a non-Canadian organization. The justification must describe how the partnership will benefit the Canadian health care system/services and what economic benefits to Canada will result from the partnership (i.e. potential to strengthen Canada’s industrial base, generate wealth, create employment and/or influence Canadian public policy).

An ideal non-Canadian partner may describe scenarios such as:

  • plans to expand commercial operations, such as R&D or manufacturing, to Canada
  • plans to partner with a Canadian company that will participate in commercializing the research results for the economic benefit of Canada
  • the possibility of the creation of a Canadian-based organization to exploit the research results
  • how the partnership will benefit the Canadian health care system/services and economy

Can applicants partner with an academic/university-based K/T user organization?

When the K/T user organization is based at a university or academic institution, the application must clearly demonstrate how the research results will be applied outside of the academic/research setting and how they will be transferred beyond this setting to health and/or economic benefits for Canadians.

Examples of an eligible and an ineligible K/T user organization are provided below. Please note that these examples only capture two possible scenarios.

Example 1 (Eligible):

The K/T user organization is a university medical clinic. The knowledge translation plan is to implement the research results in the clinic’s services to clients/patients. The K/T user organization is linked to academia however the research results will be applied directly in the clinic’s practice/programs to benefit the health of Canadians.

Example 2 (Not Eligible):

The K/T user organization is a university training centre. The knowledge translation plan is to implement the research results within the training centre to improve training for students/medical professionals. In this example it is recognized that there will be an indirect benefit to Canadians; however, the research results remain in an academic setting and there is no direct application to products, policies, programs or practices outside of the research setting for the benefit of Canadians.

Can applicants assume the role of both a researcher applicant and a K/T user?

When an applicant has the expertise to assume the role of either an ‘Applicant’ (Nominated Principal Applicant, Principal Applicant, Co-applicant or Collaborator) or a K/T user, they must select one role on the CHRP application (as either an Applicant or K/T User). Applicants may not assume both roles.

Example 1:

A clinician scientist with an academic appointment may be qualified to assume the role of an Applicant or a K/T User on a CHRP application. They may only assume one role and should select the one that is most appropriate for their participation on the project.

Example 2:

A researcher from a private sector company with an appointment at an academic institution could fulfill the role of an Applicant or a K/T User on a CHRP application. As in the previous example, they may only assume one role and should select the one that is most appropriate for their participation on the project.

Can the representative from the K/T user organization also be an applicant?

Although not mandatory, we encourage the representative from the K/T user organization to be included on the application as a Knowledge User Applicant. The representative identified as the K/T user organization contact cannot be included in any other role (Nominated Principal Applicant, Principal Applicant, Co-Applicant, Collaborator). If the individual identified as the K/T user organization contact is indicated in any of these roles, the application may be withdrawn.

Do I need to include a CV for the representative from my K/T user organization(s)?

No. However, if you do want to include a CV from a representative from a K/T user organization, then they must be identified as a Knowledge User within the Identify Participants task on ResearchNet.

Can applicants submit a proposal to conduct a clinical trial?

Randomized controlled trials and clinical trials are not permitted under the CHRP program. Small scale pilot studies, or clinical validation studies, may be considered on a case by case basis. Please contact the CHRP program staff with any questions regarding the inclusion of an RCT or CT in your project. Exceptions do arise and are reviewed on a case by case basis.

As an applicant what are the first steps I should take?

  • All applicants (including the Nominated Principal Applicant, Principal Applicants, Co-Applicants, Knowledge user applicants) must register for the new version of the CCV. It is strongly recommended that the Nominated Principal Applicant make sure that all applicants have a new CCV.
  • The K/T user organization must complete the Form 183A, provide a signed letter of support a company or organization profile and a statement of ownership (if applicable). This must be uploaded to the full application prior to submission, therefore it is recommended to contact the K/T user organization as soon as possible. (Please note that letters of support and partner signatures are not required at the LOI stage).

Can applicants change between LOI and Full application stage?

Applicants may be removed or added between LOI and Full application stage. However, the Nominated Principal Applicant and Principal Applicant (one from the natural sciences or engineering community and one from the health sciences community) used to meet the eligibility requirements of the program must be the same individuals identified at the LOI stage.

What happens if the Nominated Principal Applicant or the Principal Applicant is not eligible?

If a participant on the team is not eligible, the application will be withdrawn. Please ensure that all applicants are eligible.

Why must the Nominated Principal Applicant and Institution Paid associated with my application be NSERC eligible?

If funded, NSERC and CIHR will administer their portion of the CHRP funding separately. Therefore, both the Nominated Principal Applicant and the Institution Paid must be eligible in order to meet both CIHR and NSERC’s relevant policies.

Do all applicants need to enter their CCV?

Yes. All applicants include their CCV. This includes, the Nominated Principal Applicant, the Principal Applicant(s), co-Applicant(s) and Knowledge User applicant(s). Note that the CV is no longer uploaded to ResearchNet by the applicant. The CCV confirmation number must be entered. Therefore, it is important that all applicants prepare ahead of time and set up their CCV account. This should be done well in advance of the deadline.

Can information from the LOI or past applications be migrated to the new application?


What happens if an application does not respect the formatting guidelines?

In fairness to all applicants, the CIHR formatting guidelines must be respected. If they are not, pages may be truncated, or the application may be withdrawn.

Can additional material be included?

Yes. However, reviewers are only required to read the references, tables, charts, figures and photographs. If CIHR deems this material to be excessive the application may be truncated.

Is there a maximum amount I can request?


How do I enter the budget?

You must enter the budget term under the "Enter Project information" task ("project details" sub-task) in order to enter the budget.

The amount requested from CHRP must be entered under the "CIHR ($)" column. Other amounts (either in-kind or cash) from other sources (such as KT User organizations, partners, other funding agencies) must be included accordingly under the "Other Funding" section. The amounts entered under "other funding" must reflect the amounts detailed in the support letters and the budget justification section.

Must the Form 183A be attached to the application when submitting the application via ResearchNet?

Yes. The Form 183 is the official form that must be completed for each K/T user organization. Without this form, your application may be withdrawn. The Partnership Details form must also be completed. This form populates our database and allows us to use the partner information for statistical purposes.

Which signatures are required?

Signatures are required from all applicants with the exception of the NPA who provides a virtual signature when submitting via ResearchNet. This includes all Principal Applicants and Co-Applicants. If a Knowledge User applicant is identified, they will also need to provide a signature.

Signatures are not required from the Institution at the LOI stage.

Will support be available for applicants?

An applicant information session will not be available, however applicants and research offices, may contact CIHR staff. The contact information is listed on the bottom of the Funding Opportunity.

Date modified: