Highlights from the May 24, 2012 CIHR Scientific Expert Working Group MeetingA meeting of the Scientific Expert Working Group was held in Toronto on May 24, 2012 (meeting agenda).
The Scientific Expert Working Group was updated on the research literature that was recently published on Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI), and on the literature presented at recent scientific conferences, including the 2nd annual meeting of the International Society for Neurovascular Disease (ISNVD, February 18-22, 2012, Orlando, Florida), the 37th annual meeting of the Society of Interventional Radiology (SIR, March 24-29, 2012, San Francisco, California), and the 64th annual meeting of the American Academy of Neurology (AAN, April 21-28, 2012, New Orleans, Louisiana).
The Scientific Expert Working Group also received and discussed the updated systematic review conducted by Dr. Laupacis and his collaborators on the MS/CCSVI issue.
An update was provided by study investigators regarding the progress of the seven North American studies funded by the MS Society of Canada and the National MS Society (US).
Finally, the Scientific Expert Working Group received an update on the outcome of the funding opportunity by CIHR of the Phase I/II Clinical Trial on the safety and efficacy of the CCSVI procedure.
- The majority of the studies have reached or are near reaching completion of recruitment of patients and the first results of these studies are expected to be communicated in the fall of 2012.
- Several investigators of the seven studies are planning to present their findings at the 2012 meeting of the European Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis (ECTRIMS, 10-13 October 2012, Lyon, France).
- An update of the literature presented at the 2012 meeting of ECTRIMS will be provided at the next meeting of the CIHR Scientific Expert Working.
- The discussion outcomes have been communicated to the research team selected to conduct the Phase I/II clinical trial to ensure that recent findings regarding diagnostic procedures are integrated in the trial.
- The next meeting of the CIHR Scientific Expert Working Group is tentatively scheduled to be held in November 2012.
- Date modified: